YOUR POLIO STORY
Most of us had polio more than 50 years ago and did not talk about our experiences of being a polio survivo. It is now time totell our story, so our children and grandchildren can understand why: weneed an afternoon nap, need to use a scooter, or are not as active as other people our age.
We are encouraging all polio survivors to write their "polio story" and send it to the Polio Perspectives editor for publication. Our polio story is important to not only our family, but to all polio survivors.
Listed below are some suggestions to help you write your story. Feel free to skip some questions and to add other details, including photos.
- When and where did yo contract polio?
- Did anyone else that you know have polio?
- Were you hospitalized? (Where and for how long?)
- Tell about either what yo remember or what you have been told about your experiences with polio.
- When you got home, was there any kind of treatment that you received at home?
- How did your family react to the polio?
- Did you receive any help from the March of Dimes?
- Did you ever try to get medical documentation regarding your polio?
- Have you ever had any corrective surgeries due to the polio?
- Were these surgeries effective?
- Who paid for these surgeries?
- How did your neighbors react to the polio?
- Did your having had polio change things in your family?
- When you entered school after having had polio, what was your condition at that time?
- How did your peers react to you?
- Did polio affect your social life and dating?
- Were you self conscious about your polio condition?
- Have you gone to college?
- What work have you done in your lifetime?
- Did you do that work due to polio?
- Was there anybody in your school career, elementary, junior high, senior high or college who were polio survivors who you met?
- How did polio affect your work or career, if it did?
- Did you have siblings when you were growing up?
- Were any of them affected in any way?
- Have you been diagnosed with post polio?
- Are there any positive experiences that have come out of the polio experience for you?
- Do you think that you are more self conscious now or more accepting now of polio and what it has done to your body?
- How has post polio affected your plans for your retirement? Leisure?Other things?
Send your polio story to: Vera Hazel, Editor Polio Perspectives, 15235 Ackerson Drive, Battle Creek, MI 49014
Or email your story to [email protected]